Senior year updates!



I apologize that it has been a while since I last posted, senior year has kept me very busy! I cannot believe that it is November already!  So much has happened recently, here is a quick update:

I am excited that Hippkids continues to grow and reach children all across the world! It is so rewarding to think that my small idea of beginning a pen pal program for children with hearing-loss has made such a difference in the lives of so many. I love getting emails from parents telling me how excited their child is to write a letter to their pen pal and how it really does help them feel connected to others in similar circumstances. If you have not had a chance to learn about my program, please visit my website: www.hippkids.com. Any child or teen with hearing loss of any degree can sign up, regardless of communication mode or location. I have recently introduced a mentoring program as well.

It was a bittersweet ending to my cross country season- I am already missing practicing with my team mates after school, pounding the pavement together and bonding at our weekend meets. We did well- finishing as one of the best teams in our schools history, second at the district meet and second at regionals! I hope to continue to run, indoors for now as it is already snowing in Cleveland ;(

Great news for my three-woman-strong debate team, our paper submitted to the International Public Policy Forum Debate contest made the qualifying round! This year the topic is: RESOLVED: When in conflict, a nations self-interest should outweigh it's national commitments to migrants. We took a little different approach this year, including true stories of migrants into our paper which I felt was really powerful– it created real-life connections to the issue at hand, something I think is often missing in general as we as a community think about some of the decisions we make on behalf of others. I am proud that my team has qualified to participate in this completion all three years we entered– this year over 150 teams from 19 countries entered!

Lastly, thank you to all who have sent proponent testimony on behalf of Ohio House Bill 243. Because of a change in the chair of the Health committee, the issue has been postponed for the last few weeks but we are assured that it will be reentered onto the House floor soon. I will keep you posted!

Happy November!

Comments

Popular Posts