Ryan Brady art sampling




Art Sampling: 



Welcome to some samplings of my art! I thought I would share some of my projects, from prints to free hand sketches, to some digital doodles! Enjoy!




This print won first place in Ohio's District 11 Congressional Art Contest for printmaking! It is a self portrait that is made from two screen prints and a yellow flat monotype.



This print started off as a digital drawing that I created of myself. Here I basically took a selfie, then using the photo as a reference, I sketched my self portrait. In order to transfer my drawing from an image to a screenprint, I had to print the image onto paper and then trace it onto a plastic sheet with an oil-based marker. That process is a lot harder than it seems, as the image kept smudging!

Close up of the digital drawing, notice the detail which made tracing the image very time consuming. 




The actual printing process is a multi-day, multiple step process with a lot of room for error (or maybe I am just a perfectionist!)


Patience and perseverance.....


From these prints, I was able to complete the above award winning self portrait! 




This is a print of my dog Toby! The print was created by carving four different linoleum blocks, printing one in each cyan, magenta, yellow and black and overlaying them. The print won a Gold Key in the printmaking category of the Scholastic Art and Writing awards and first place in Ohio's District 11 Congressional Art Contest for printmaking. It is hard to portray the level of detail involved in creating a print such as this, but trust me in that it is a very time consuming process, below are just three of the multiple prints I created of Toby- each one requiring hours of detailed work. I really do like the above one the best!














Pencil drawing of Albert Einstein. I rasterized this on a computer and laser cut a wood block of my drawing, which I then used to make the print below.





This print is a cardinal (Ohio's state bird!) carved from a linoleum block. The background is a monotype using fake flowers.


This is an artist's proof of my cardinal and sparrow linoleum prints. Notice part of the carving tool used and scraps of linoleum that are carved away in the process of creating a print.



This is a print out of wood block which I made for my sister to remind her of home when she left for college. I tried to capture Cleveland's industrial history!



After reading about Colony Collapse Disorder and the fall of the honeybee, I was inspired to create a series of prints depicting this. These are a few of the finished pieces. I employed the process of paper lithography to transfer the bee onto the print from a drawing I had sketched freehand. The background is a monotype of fake flowers. I had to mask the print of the flowers with another piece of paper so that it would not cover up the bee. Check out the close-up below! 


Here is a hand-carved print of a bee out of a linoleum block. The gold wings are screen-printed. 


Just a quick pencil sketch!

Bird drawn in pen.


A heart, composed only of dots.


Flowers, composed only of dots.


As part of a school art project, we were to represent different chemical elements through printmaking. My assignment was to represent iodine, element 53. I decided to depict the Morton Salt girl because of the brand's Iodized Salt. The background is purple because Iodine is dark purple in color as both as a solid and gas. The umbrella is yellow because Iodine is yellow in liquid form. I know that for a fact because my legs were stained yellow for weeks after my knee surgery from the use of Betadine!


A still life that I drew in an art class at the Cleveland Institute of Art.


A digital portrait drawing on my iPad!

Comments

Popular Posts