Why I choose to run

Why I choose to run:

I was never meant to be a cross country runner, in fact I never liked running much at all. On the soccer field, I could be the kid that everyone counted on would be standing in the the middle of the field acting as a decoy. And that pick I am so famous for as a 12 year old lacrosse player was really a result of me not wanting to 'move your feet'- a constant command from my coach on the sideline. I was in the right place at the right time, and just so happened to chose not to move.

My anatomy was not one of a runner. For starters, I mean right out of the gate, I was a breach baby. Months spend snuggling upside down takes it toll on developing hips and limbs. As a toddler my core strength was non-existent and my mother became so worried that she had me evaluated by a physical therapist. Diagnosis = slow growing.

As time went on my legs decided they didn't care to grow straight, fast forward three years and two surgeries later... I spent quite a few month on crutches recovering from eight plate surgery- a rather cool way to guide the legs to grow straight. One thing I learned from my multiple visits to the orthopedic surgeon was that my bone growth was lagging compared to my chronological age, and that one of my legs was longer than the other–which, I was told was actually pretty commonplace.

In my middle school years, I decided to drop soccer, tried basketball and instead ended up joining my middle school's lacrosse team. Lacrosse was my love! I loved the feel of the stick in my hand, and in my secret side-arm shot that scored every time. I was told I played like a boy, but I didn't care. Fall season brought the chance to try out for the field hockey team, for which I did. Equally satisfying, field hockey really challenged my skillset and I quickly rose to the occasion, being one of the youngest players as a freshman on the varsity team. Fast forward through high school where I have been playing lacrosse and field hockey competitively both for school and on travel teams. I've had the chance to travel all over the US attending tournaments and recruiting camps and have made a ton of new friends because of the sports. High level sports was highly demanding, but I craved the competition and thrived on the aspect that perhaps one day I would play collegiately. So, you ask, why do I no longer play field hockey and lacrosse?

Concussions–Three in a row.

And the decision was made to drop contact sports. And so now I run. My legs may not be perfectly straight and my bones still have a while to grow but I have found in running a new sport where my mind really does matter, as most days it is mind over matter! I am not the fastest runner but that is not my goal. I run for the camaraderie, I run for Team Fisher House to support our veterans. I run because that's what runners do.



Comments

Popular Posts